5th Biennial Conference of the
International Association for Visual Culture
September 13 - 15, 2018
London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
Thursday, September 13, 2018
4:30 - 5:30 Keynote Speaker: Griselda Pollock (University of Leeds, England)
6:30 - 8:00 Opening reception hosted at LCC by the Journal of Visual Culture
Friday, September 14, 2018
9:00 - 9:30 Coffee and opening remarks
9:30 - 11:00 Panel #1: On (Higher) Education
- Helen Potkin Kingston School of Art (London, England) "Co-Creating the Curriculum"
- Leen Rieth University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia) "Studying choice in institutional art spaces through practice-led queer institutional critique"
- Jorella Andrews Goldsmiths, University of London (London, England) "Description and/as the cultivation of care"
- Andrea Pruchova Charles University; Czech National Film Archive; Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes (Prague, Czech Republic) "Who is Allowed to See? With-in-out Academia: Strategy of Teaching Visual Literacy Across Institutions"
11:00 - 11:45 Panel #1 BREAKOUT SESSIONS
- Nicole Brown University of College London, Institute of Education (London, England) "The self in the classroom: the visual and material in teacher education"
- Jordan Reznick University of California, Santa Cruz (USA) "My Students are Revolting: Teaching Visual Studies in Times of Political Crisis" (Recommended reading: Nicholas Mirzoeff, “The Right to Look," Critical Inquiry, Vol 37, No 3, Spring 2011, 473-496.
- Allison Lange Wentworth Institute of Technology (Boston, USA) "Teaching Visual Culture with Digital Timelines" (We recommend that you visit https://timeline.knightlab.com/ in advance of the session.)
11:45 - 12:45 Lunch break
12:45 - 2:15 Panel #2: Radical Pedagogies for the Contemporary
- Rachel Nelson Institute of Arts and Sciences, University of California, Santa Cruz (USA) "Teaching Race and Mass Incarceration in the U.S. through Contemporary Art: A Case Study in Visual Pedagogies"
- Ya'ara Gil-Glazer Tel-Hai Academic College (Qiryat Shemona, Israel) "Activist Photographic Pedagogy: The Photo League and ActiveVision"
- Ana Valéria de Figueiredo da Costa, Tatiane da Silva Monteiro, and Isabel Almeida Carneiro State University of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) "Constructing visions: the use of tactile boards in Visual Arts teaching for the blind"
- Lewis Bush London College of Communication / University of the Arts (England) "Good Photojournalism’: Educating Ethical Image Makers"
2:15 - 3:00 Panel #2 BREAKOUT SESSIONS
- Dipti Desai and Jessica Hamlin New York University (USA), "Moving from Racialized Vision to Decolonized Vision: Interrogating the Teaching and Learning of Visual Art"
- Nina Hoechtl (Independent scholar) and Rían Lozano Institute of Aesthetic Research / National Autonomous University of Mexico (Mexico City, Mexico) "Con los Ojos y la Lengua en la Mano: Engaging with Gloria Anzeldua's Drawings"
3:00 - 3:30 Coffee break
3:30 - 4:45 Panel #3: What is a History
- Kaja Marczewska Coventry University (London, England) "Printing it: visual education as Self-Organisation"
- Sara Dominici University of Westminster (London, England) "The Camera as Techno-Cultural Object: Teaching Photography without Photographs"
- Tiffany Fairey PARC / London College of Communication / University of the Arts (London, England) "Legacies of Visual Activism: The Story of TAFOS, its images and citizen photographers"
4:45 - 5:30 Panel #3 BREAKOUT SESSIONS
- Laura Malacart Visual Artist (née Italy, based in London, England) The Little Book of Answers: Dancing the Answers of the Citizenship Test"
- Amanda Holiday Film artist and poet (née Sierra Leone, based in London, England) "The Art Poems: A Creative Presentation" Attendees are encouraged to consider this work of art (Collaborative Fiction by Mike Lang) in advance of this talk.
5:45 - 6:45 Keynote speaker: Jill H. Casid (University of Wisconsin - Madison, USA) "Doing Things with Being Undone"
Please reserve your evening to attend the opening reception for the exhibition Creating Concrete Universes. A Gloria Anzaldúa Thought Gallery
Saturday, September 15
10:00 - 10:30 Coffee and opening remarks
10:30 - 11:30 Keynote speaker: Petár Jandríc Association of Visual Pedagogies and Zagreb University of Applied Sciences (Croatia) "The Postdigital Challenge of Visual Pedagogies"
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch break
- Jennifer Good "Critical Paralysis: Photographing the Other"
- Nela Milic "Mapping as Reading Spaces"
- Janine Francois "Sustainable Fashion"
- Susannah Haslam "Writing as Practice"
2:00 - 2:45 Panel #4 BREAKOUT SESSIONS
- Graham Barton University of the Arts London (England) and David Bracegirdle Central Saint Martin's (London, England) "Exploring visual pedagogies through ‘Sonic-Object Based Learning’"
- Ilga Leimanis London-based artist (England) "Visualising through Drawing"
2:45 - 3:15 Coffee break
3:15 - 4:45 Closing roundtable with Tina Campt Barnard College (New York City, USA), Amanda du Preez University of Pretoria (South Africa), Marquard Smith Institute of Education / University College London (London, England), and others.